BIOGRAGHY Mr. Dama Na’Ankot Peter Douglas, Director of Public Relations and Protocol was born on the 8th of November 1956 in Zaria, Kaduna State. Mr. Dama, who hails from Plateau State, attended the following Educational Institutions: Holy Ghost Primary School, Makurdi (1964-1969), St. Brendans R.C.M School, Kwa (JAN 1970-DEC1970), St. John Vianney’s Seminary, Barkin Ladi (1971-1975), School of Basic Studies, ABU, Zaria (1976-1977), Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria (1977-1980), IOWA State University, AMES-IOWA,U.S.A (1982), National Institute of Public Information, Kaduna (1987). Mr. Dama obtained the following qualifications: First School leaving Certificate (1970); G.C.E O’ Level (1975); IJMB (ABU) Zaria (1977); B.A Combine Honours in History and Political Science (1980); M.sc in Journalism and Mass Communication (1982); and Post Graduate Certificate in Public Information (1987). Mr. Dama has been an active member of the Nigerian Union of Journalists and the Nigerian Institute of Public Relations. He is not new to the business of information management and has held the following positions: Correspondent/Producer, Reporter- Radio Plateau, News and Current Affairs Division (1980-1983); Deputy Head, Federal Information Centre, and Assisting Head of Federal Information Centre at the Information Management Centre in Jos (1984-1989); Head, Federal Information Service Centre, Bauchi, (1989-1990); Public Information Management for Federal Government of Nigeria; Head, Information Service Centre, Embassy of Nigeria, Brazil,(1991-1995); Head, Information Division, Nigeria High Commission, London, (1993-1994); Senior Counselor, Information and Culture, Deputy Head of Centre, Embassy of Nigeria, Brussels, Belgium, (1997-2001); Vice Chairman, Nigerian Union of Journalists, Plateau State Chapter (1986-1987); Elected Chairman, Nigerian Union of Journalists, Plateau State Chapter (1987-1990); Member, National Executive Council of Nigerian Union of Journalists (1987-1990); Board Member, Plateau Publishing Company (1987-1990); Part time Lecturer in Journalism and Mass Communication at Catholic Media Centre, Kaduna ; Head, National Press Centre; Director, State House Press Liaison. Mr. Dama is happily married with children.
To effectively sustain and build a positive image for the Ministry/Government through the adaptation of modern public relations delivery system, in facilitating good relationship between Government, the Media and its various public.
The Public Relations Unit as a foremost image maker for the Ministry shall pursue the development and application of the tools of communication, to establish effective and efficient information gathering, dissemination and response mechanism for the attainment of stability and enlightening Nigeria, its corporate existence, and national interest.
- Creation of goodwill for the Federal Government through the implementation of appropriate Public Relations strategies.
- Mobilizing and sustaining positive image for Government, its policies and programmes.
- Creation of a co-ordinate relationship between the Ministry, professional media and related bodies, government and the public.
The Unit, as an integral Arm of the Hon. Minister’s office, handles the following activities:
- Co-ordination of protocol duties of the Hon. Minister’s Office and that of the Permanent Secretary.
- Production of souvenirs and gift items.
- FMIC/NACA HIV/AIDS non stigmatization and Gender programmes.
- Co-ordination of Community and Media Relations.
- Attending of national and international conferences on behalf of the Ministry.
- Goodwill Relations with Community leaders, Diplomatic communities, NGOs and NASS Committee Relations.
- Purchase of National Newspapers and keeping the Hon. Minister update on national issues.
- Acts as a buffer and image maker for the Ministry and the Federal Government.
- Awareness creation and sensitization activities.
- Adhoc activities.
Mr. Ajayi Samuel, Director, Public Relations and Protocol Unit.