Boko Haram prosecution: Chibok Girls’ abductor sentenced 15 years


The Federal High Court sitting in Wawa Cantonment, Kainji, Niger State, has sentenced a Boko Haram member, Haruna Yahaya, aged 35, to fifteen years imprisonment for his participation in the abduction of 200 Chibok school girls in 2014.
This is one of the judgements passed by Judges of the Federal High Court treating high profile cases at the recommencement of the second phase prosecution of over One thousand Boko Haram suspects in Wawa Military Cantonment, New Bussa, Niger State today.
Yahaya, who claimed to be a trader in Damboa LGA of Borno State, confessed in his statement that he was forced to join the dreaded terrorist group and had participated in the attack of the Chibok school Girls.
He had on Monday pleaded guilty to the two counts charge preferred against him by the Federal Government but pleaded for mercy, saying he was forcefully conscripted into the terrorist group.
The prosecution of the first phase was carried out last year at the same venue.
He equally confessed to have lost count of number of people he killed at many attacks despite being physically challenged. He further narrated how he was trained to handle AK47 riffle. His criminal activities spanned from 2015 to 2017 before he was arrested.
He was sentenced to 15 years imprisonment for his criminal role in abduction of Chibok school girls and Gabsuri town in the Damboa Local Government of the state.
. The Judge held that he cannot use his physical challenge condition to attract sympathy from the court. The Court then ordered that he would serve the sentence in any prison chosen by the Comptroller General of the Nigerian Prisons Service.
He is part of 20 persons convicted at the resumed hearing of the case.
Earlier defence Counsel, Matthew Eigege pleaded with the court to release the defendant, explaining that he was forced to join the sect and would have been killed if he did not.

Speaking at the venue, the Director Legal in the Defence Headquarters, Air-Vice Marshal Ibrahim Shafi’i said the prosecution is the first time that would move from the Court room to the barracks. He commended the conducive environment and good detention facilities in the barracks.
The Director, Criminal Litigation, Institute of Advanced Legal Aids, Tunde Ikusagba also commended the high profiled Lawyers in the prosecution process. He noted that the trial of suspects meet up to the International standard
The FHC promised to judge the case without compromising procedures and rule of law.

Ogundoro Modupe,
Deputy Director