Director (Cultural Industries & Heritage): Mrs. Rose Kwarsen
The Department of Cultural Industries is divided into 3 divisions:
- Cultural Industry
- Innovations & Entrepreneurship
The Cultural Industries and Heritage Department is mandated to initiate and support the process of job creation, wealth generation and empowering of the vulnerable groups. It is expected to develop heritage activities for economic growth and opportunities.
The Cultural Industry is charged with the following responsibilities;
- Develop and nurture creativity through establishment of Cultural Industries Centres across the nation.
- Stimulate creative capacity of Cultural Industry workers in the creative sector in a context of transformation, entrepreneurship and skills.
- Encourage innovation and creativity through ideas and businesses in line with best practices and standard.
- Develop Cultural Industries as a new emerging force to support the process of job creation, wealth generation and empowerment of vulnerable group.
Over the years the Ministry via the Department has constructed and established 12 Cultural Industries Centres across the length and breadth of the country which are located in Taraba, Benue, Enugu, Edo, Ondo, Ogun, FCT and Sokoto States.
The Heritage division is saddled with the following responsibilities;
- Development of tangible & intangible Cultural Heritage including development of traditional festivals of the nation.
- Promotion of Nigerian foods and delicacies.
- Development of Nigeria’s Cultural Festivals across the country.
- Special publication on harmful and negative Cultural practices.
Over the years 12 major festivals have been identified across the 6 geo-political zones of the federation to be developed and upgraded to international festivals; these are Argungu fishing festival, Osun Osogbo festival, Mmawu festival, Eyo festival, Oju-Ode Oba festival, Durbar, New yam festival, Keana salt festival, Ekpe heritage festival and Bade fishing festival.
INNOVATIONS AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP
The Innovations and Entrepreneurship Division is responsible for the creation of cultural value and economic wealth through entrepreneurship activities by youth and womenfolk to create economic opportunities. Some of its responsibilities include:
- Advance economic development through entrepreneurship.
- Diversify the service oriented economies and support creativity and innovations.
- Create micro-businesses and help to build skills and knowledge needed to stimulate creative ideas.