The Federal Government has inaugurated the Chairman and members of the 5th National Stakeholders Working Group (NSWG) of the Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (NETI) to reposition the extractive industries in line with the international best practices.
The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, while inaugurating the 15-man NSWG of the Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative in his office, said the Board was carefully selected based on individual merit and track record. He affirmed that their appointment and inauguration is a practical demonstration of President Muhammadu Buhari’s commitment to transparency and accountability in the management of economic resources.
The SGF charged the newly inaugurated Board to adhere strictly to the tenet of their mandate through effective implementation of Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI) in Nigeria. In his words:
“You are therefore advised to conduct yourselves in accordance with this requirement. Your mandate as the Board of this organization is to ensure effective EITI implementation in Nigeria by providing policy and strategic direction, guidance, monitoring and oversight to EITI process in Nigeria”.
He commended the laudable feats achieved by the previous Boards in the implementation of the EITI in Nigeria, and urged the new Board to surpass their achievements, considering the caliber of the membership of the Board.
In his acceptance speech, the Chairman of the National Stakeholders Working Group (NSWG) of the Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (NETI), Mr. Adekunle Olusegun, thanked President Muhammadu Buhari for the appointment, and promised that to work as team in entrenching transparency and accountability in the extractive industries with high sense of integrity.
He said the Board will provide policy direction, monitoring, guidance and oversight to NEITI Secretariat so that they would sustain the laudable achievements the institution has recorded since its inception.
Mr. Adekunle stated that the Board would study the Document of the Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB) that was passed by the National Assembly and awaiting the President’s assent, to prepare them to be able to respond to the new dynamics it will bring to the industry and the nation’s economy. He added that the Board would engage with the National Assembly, other arms of the executive and operators in the extractive industry.
He further said that the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation would serve as political champion that would help the Board and the NEITI Secretariat in the attainment of its statutory obligation through the implementation its recommendations.
The newly inaugurated Board members comprise of the following:
• Olusegun Adeyemi Adekunle, Esq. – Chairman (Public Administrator/Retired Federal Permanent Secretary)
• Group Managing Director, (NNPC) Mele Kyari – Member (Representing National Oil Gas Company Industry)
• Executive Chairman, FIRS, Muhammad Mamman Nami – Member (Extractive Industry Revenue accountability)
• President, Nigeria Mining & Geosciences Society Alabo Charles – Member (Extractive Industry Professional Union)
• President, PENGASSAN Comrade Festus Osifo – Member (Extractive Industries Professional Union Industries)
• Mr. Lorenzo Fiorillo – Member (Chairman OPTS Representative- IOCs, Oil, Gas Industry Companies)
• Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Mines and Steel Development, Dr. Oluwatoyin Akinlade – Member (Representative, Government Extractive Industries- Mining)
• Peter Egbule – Member (National Coordinator, Publish What You Pay representative, Civil Society)
• Dr. Bashir Bature Gafai – Member (Geo-Political Rep: North-West Zone)
• Dr. Iliya Gashinbaki – Member (Geo-Political Rep: North-East Zonel
• Godwin Akor Ogwuche – Member (Geo-Political Rep: North-Central Zone)
• Professor Damilola Olawuyi – Member (Geo-Political Rep: South-West Zone)
• Dr. Nze Joe Ibeh – Member (Geo-Political Rep: South-East Zone)
• Awowoh Christian – Member (Geo-Political Rep: South-South Zone)
• Dr. Orji Ogbonnaya Orji – Member (Executive Secretary, NEITI by virtue of Office)