In an effort to strengthen and reposition the Water Sector in order to meet the enormous challenges in water resources management and sanitation in the country, the Honourable Minister of Water Resources, Engr. Suleiman H. Adamu, FNSE on Friday 26th January, 2018 in Abuja inaugurated the Ministerial Policy Advisory Committee (MPAC) on Water Resources consisting of experts and professionals to monitor and advise the Ministry on Water Resources Management and Sustainable Development.
The 14-member Committee is charged with the responsibilities of advising the Honourable Minister of Water Resources regarding local and international developments in the water sector. It shall also advise him on the implementation of the National Water Resources Master Plan, Climate Change issues, Water Law and Policy implementation and Trans-boundary issues.
The Minister assured members of the Committee to use their expertise in drawing the ministry’s attention to critical issues relevant to water resources as well as act as external monitor on the general performance of the sector.
Earlier in his welcome address, the Permanent Secretary, Dr. Musa Ibrahim appreciated members of the Committee for accepting to serve the nation. “It is a selfless service to the nation and I humbly implore you to put in your best so that we will benefit from your wealth of experience and professionalism in the management of water resources in Nigeria”, he said.
Responding on behalf of the members of the Committee, the Chairman, Engr. Prof. Salihu Mustapha, FNSE thanked the Honourable Minister for finding them fit to be members of the Committee. He said that the Committee is made up of professionals and technocrats in the water sector. “We shall put in our best to meet the expectations and aspirations of the Minister in setting up the Ministerial Policy Advisory Committee”, he pledged.
The Committee members are as follows;
- Engr. Prof. Salihu Mustapha FNSE, FAEng. FAS- Chairman
- HRH Eng. Prof. Ben A. Nwachukwu, FNSE, FAEng. Member
- Prof. Lekan Oyebande – Member
- Engr. A.B Jauro – Member
- Oba, Engr. Michael Adesina FNSE, FAEng. – Member
- Engr. N.A. Rafindadi FNSE, FAEng. – Member
- Engr. Prof. David Jimoh – Member
- Dr. Emmanuel A. Adanu, FNAH, MNSE, FNMGS – Member
- Barr. Tanwa Koya – Member
- Engr. I.K. Musa, FNSE – Member
- Dr. Salisu Abdul Mumini – Member
- Dr. Dauda Y. Gowon – Member
- Engr. James Obong Bassey – Member
- Dr. Garba Iliya – Secretary/Member
Director (Press and Public Relations)