I am highly elated to cordially welcome you all to Adamawa State, the Land of Beauty for the first (1st) Phase of 2023 Management Retreat, themed“ THE NEW CIVIL SERVICE: Domesticating FCSSIP25 in the Ministry of Information and Culture scheduled to begins from today, 19th – 21st January, 2023. The core objective of this Retreat is to brainstorm and synergize on strategic mechanisms for the positioning of improved workforce and professionalism at various levels under strict monitoring for efficient and effective deliverables of our statutory mandates.
- The Federal Civil Service is a constitutional body established under section 169 of 1999 Constitution of Nigeria, a pipeline through which Government dependently propelled its functions, activities, projects and plans for standard living of its citizens. The Federal Civil Service has gone through a lot of reforms in the past for better performance and prompt service delivery such as SERVICOM, MILLENNIUM DEVELOPMENT GOALS (MDGs) now SDGS, PENCOM, etc. Some of the reforms were embraced and adhered to, till date while some were of little or no effect. However, l must quickly and equitably reiterate that there are still many patriotic, passionate and altruistic employees in the Federal Civil Service today.
- It is against this backdrop that the Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation recently introducedFCSSIP25 (Federal Civil Service Strategy and Implementation Plans 2021-2025) as a new reform into the mainstream of Federal Civil Service to mainly break away from the old model to a new paradigm of productive, result-driven, world-class Federal Civil Service to attain accelerated National Development. The FCSSIP25 is the successor toFCSSIP20, developed through multi-stakeholder consultations. It focuses on six (6) priority areas as conveyor/catalyst for the institutionalization of Performance-Based Culture and Reward System.
- I am however, convinced that if FCSSIP initiative is vigorously pursued and implemented, It will undoubtedly galvanize quality performance of workers and as well enhance economic stability. The Ministry, in line with the OHCSF’s directive, has successfully developed and documented the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) as guidelines for work processes and innovative tasks in various Departments/Units of the Ministry which shall form part of our technical deliberations during this retreat. Similarly, work is at the top-gear one implementation of the Enterprise Content Management (ECM) to digitize past records and subsequent automation of workflow by eliminating dependence on paper documents, increase productivity and organizational risk. Distinguished Directors and Heads of Departments, I am glad to disclose the creation of IPPIS Self-Service Centres (under the Director Human Resources Department) and Innovation Unit at the Reform Coordination & Service Innovation Department of the Ministry.
- Finally, Our gathering for this retreat is a fulfillment of the promise I made on the day I took over as your Permanent Secretary that ICT will be given priority while also upholding staff welfare as a priority. I am desirous and eager to see that our Ministry enlisted as one of the quick implementers of this initiative. I therefore, urge you all to ensure that all hands are on deck towards the realization of Federal Civil Service of our dream, citing us as good driver of government policy and of our motto: “Change Begins With Me”. Lets make the best us of the various and well experienced facilitators in our midst while this retreat last. We all, as Principal Officers/Management Staff, should endeavor to lead our subordinates by examples.
- I on behalf of the Honourable Minister Alh. Lai Mohammed and my humble self hereby, declare open, the Management Retreat as we proceed to the TECHNICAL SESSIONS which I believe shall culminate in fruitful outcomes.
THANK YOU ALL FOR LISTENING.