Permit me to start off by apologizing for the long delay in inaugurating this important Committee.
2. First, it was a gap in communication that delayed the inauguration. When we were finally ready, poor attendance, especially of critical stakeholders, truncated the planned inauguration. Finally, the stage is set!
3. I will like thank you all for taking time off your busy schedule to attend this special event. I call it special because the National Council on Privatization has entrusted upon us the responsibility of ensuring that this Stakeholders Engagement Committee of the National Council on Privatization delivers on its assigned mandate.
4. The Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE), being the Secretariat of the NCP, is also saddled with a huge responsibility of reaching out to all its stakeholders. That is why it is has become very necessary for us to do all that we can to ensure that the committee lives up to its responsibilities by ensuring that we identify and maintain contacts with various stakeholders and opinion leaders; and advise Council on their interests and concerns about the programme which is one of the requirements of the committee.
5. Distinguished ladies and gentlemen, let me use this opportunity to reiterate that the current administration of President Muhammadu Buhari recognises and actively promotes the participation of the private sector in the strategic economic agenda of the nation.
6. This pro-business posture of the government is eminently reflected in the Economic Recovery and Growth Plan of this government.
7. We believe that the key business of government is to provide an enabling environment for private businesses to thrive and build economic prosperity for the generality of Nigerians, including the provision of critical infrastructure through Public Private Partnership.